BEAR is looking for contrary thinkers and makers, who long for an environment in which they can experiment freely and radically.
If you wish to apply for the Fine Art bachelor course, you must meet the following conditions:
- pre-university education (VWO), upper general secondary education (HAVO), secondary vocational education (MBO: level 4) or equivalent;
- this course is subject to language requirements;
- you must successfully complete an admission procedure.
If you are in any doubt as to whether you will be able to meet the diploma requirements at the start of the course, please get in touch with Student Affairs before applying.
Applications for BEAR Fine Art course in Arnhem can be made in Studielink. After applying, you will receive an e-mail containing a link to an online questionnaire. After submitting the questionnaire, you can download the home assignment which contains 6 mandatory assignments. After receiving your filled out questionnaire, the course will send you information about the online entrance examination and where and how to submit your home assignment and portfolio (max. 40 pages). If you wish to be scheduled for another entrance exam date you can send an e-mail to toelatingenArtDesign.Arnhem@ArtEZ.nl with your request.
Some of the admissions are online while other are on site. The dates and details for 2023/24 are still to be announced.
Online admission dates
- 1st entrance exam: to be announced
- 2nd entrance exam: to be announced
- 3rd entrance exam: to be announced
- 4th entrance exam: to be announced
- 5th Entrance exam: to be announced
- 6th Entrance exam: to be announced
After applying for the selection, you will take the entrance examination. There is no charge for this. During the entrance examination, we assess whether Fine Art is the right course for you and whether you have sufficient talent and motivation to succeed in the course. We test:
- Your creative ability: your ability to express yourself visually, to work based on observation and concept.
- We will also be looking for things such as understanding of and feel for colour, form and material and the individuality expressed by your work.
- Your motivation and ability to communicate. How good are your communication skills? To what extent are you able to share your fascination and inspiration? How much decisiveness and discipline do you display?
- Your ability to reflect critically on images. Here we will be looking for an inquiring and experimental attitude, curiosity and a genuine interest in contemporary art practice.
The entrance examination is online or on site and consists of an interview about your portfolio and your home assignments.
Interview about portfolio and home assignment
You will be interviewed by our tutors and you present your 6 home assignments as well as a portfolio of your own work (max. 40 pages). You explain your process and talk about ideas behind your work. The interview will be via a video call or on site.
You can include in your portfolio any medium such as drawings, paintings, photos, videos, animations, websites, furniture, clothes, posters, etc. For videos, add links so we can watch them. Show not only finished products but also sketches that provide an insight into your way of thinking.
Result and validity
The admissions committee will advise the Board of Examiners whether or not to admit you. You will be notified of the result within three working weeks of the entrance examination.
An admission is only valid for the course for which you have applied. If you want to audition for a course or specialisation at a different location, you must register for that separately. The admission is only valid for the academic year immediately following the entrance examination.
Arrive for the entrance examination properly prepared
Do you wish to enrol on the BEAR propaedeutic year after secondary school? Then take the preparatory course in Art & Design in Arnhem first.
This preparatory course prepares you thoroughly for the entrance examination.